I’ve been forced to accept the fact in the last two weeks that, despite the great recovery that I had in October, I’m still not better. In fact, at this point, it appears that I have simply gotten back to where I was when I first started antibiotic therapy. In other words, while on antibiotics, I got very, very sick … and then I recovered from that. Who knows whether or not I would have gotten just as sick if I’d never started the antibiotics, but I certainly find it difficult to believe that my current treatment course is getting me where I want to go. At my last LLMD visit, my doctor called me an “antibiotic veteran” — and this is after just one year of antibiotics (but four different types + mepron).

Based on this realization, I have started once again to think about alternatives to antibiotics, such as those described in The Top 10 Treatments for Lyme Disease, Healing Lyme, and Lyme Info’s page on alternatives to antibiotics. I don’t know where this will lead me yet, but I do know that I will consider both techniques that are complementary to and substitutes for traditional antibiotics. This will be the first in a series of posts where I explore different alternative techniques. Disclaimer: I am no doctor, and I cannot speak to the ability for these techniques to cure anyone. What I will document is what sources of information I found about different techniques, and what evidence I used to make my own personal decision to try or not to try something. I encourage you to research these techniques and make your own decisions about them.

Note: this post used to go on to discuss theĀ  Marshall Protocol, but instead I decided to step back and think about how to evaluate different treatment approaches. I will discuss the Marshall Protocol in a future post once I’ve had time to collect my thoughts on it in a way that addresses the full set of issues that I think should go in to such a serious decision.


More information on treatment options

I feel as if suddenly a world of information is opening up to me about treatment options. My ID doctor in Pittsburgh and my LLMD (Lyme Literate MD) in NY are willing to work together, my MD/Homeopath is supporting and supplementing, and everything from Pamela Weintraub’s book to emails from complete strangers seems to be pointing in this direction. My symptoms are improving, and my LLMD says I should expect monthly improvements or we have the meds wrong. Things are looking good.

Funny, then, that I can’t help questioning aspects of my treatment even as I embark on it. The more I learn about lyme, the more plausible treatments such as the Marshall Protocol sound, or alternately a mixed approach where alternative medicines and antibiotics are applied in concert to address a wide range of issues from lyme (and its many forms) to a variety of co-infections. The Marshall Protocol is in direct conflict with my current approach, though I have it in mind as a next step if this doesn’t work. The multi system, multi infection mixed approach can be boosted beyond my current level. Step one is to add Mepron to my antibiotics (an anti-parasitic safe enough that it is sometimes taken prophylactically), and follow that by anti-parasitic supplements. Mepron was recommended by my LLMD, and the choice was approved of by everyone I’ve spoken with